Followers

Friday, January 1, 2010

Shelby? Is that you?

Remember the part in Steel Magnolias where Shelby decides to cut her hair. Short. Her mother, Malynn, says that would be "precious". And then Truvy does this hatch job on her head. And everyone in the audience is going, "What the...?" And not even her mother likes it, but she says she loves it anyway. And then Malynn just smiles and nods. Aaaawkward. It's best not to say anything. And maybe this is just my interpretation of the movie, but this is what I think about when I see this:

That's right, let your eyes get their fill.

And if you have to ask, No, I do not like it, not on my eggshaped head at least. No, Bret does not like it (although he won't admit it. But he's a bad liar. Always has been). But it's hair. It'll grow back. And I can laugh (and blog) about it. And in about 2 months time, it will be the length that I actually wanted it cut. Until then, just tell me it's "precious", smile, nod, and walk away.
At least my dad's not around to see this. I did this once before (yes, that's right) and he teased me for a month wondering why our co-ed softball team was allowed to have an extra guy on the team. Hey, I have my brothers for that though! There's always a silver lining.

11 comments:

Connie said...

You didn't tell me you were thinking of cutting your hair! I am being honest- I don't think it's bad- it's cute, actually! Trust me, no one could have had a worse hair experience than I did last year. But it does grow back, and in the meantime, enjoy the 5 minutes it takes to get ready for the day!

sixskinners said...

Well, hmmmm, ummmm, I am speechless. It caught me off gaurd.

First off, let me say, kuddos to you for even trying it. I have been telling Landon for years that I would love to have a pixie haircut but I am too CHICKEN to go and actually do it. I wish I had your attitude about hair and just do it. But I also know that I would NEVER hear the end of it from Landon about me looking like a lesbo. Bret is doing the right thing by keeping his mouth shut.
I have always been a HUGE fan of your hair....long, thick and beautiful. I loved your long hair. So if my opinion matters, which I know it doesn't, I am not a fan. Not because it doesn't look good, but because I just love your long hair. Maybe it's jealousy on my part because I will never go that short (even though I would like to) and I will never be able to grow hair as luxurious as yours (and I mean that).

Maybe I should have just called and told you all of this instead of typing the long comment. Oh well it's done, now I will hit publish.

sixskinners said...

P.S. I loved that movie.

Jamie said...

can I just say "WOW".

I don't think it looks bad. I Think there are better hair cuts that would look good on you. But hey your right hair grows back.
Your braver then i am. I keep wanting to do a pixie haircut but I don't have the guts. Probably never will.

Rosie & John Biggs said...

Is that Mary Kay you're wearing?

Anonymous said...

I am like Kristin, in the shock dept. I never thought you would do it that short. and I will get used to it and like you said in a month it will be the length you wanted it in the first place.

deredew said...

When I started reading the post, I saw the picture and I thought "who is this girl Hollie is writing about?" I seriously did not recognize you until I scrolled down and saw the picture of you from the side.
But to tell you the truth, I quite like it :)

Sarah Rowley said...

Holy crap! It doesn't even look like you! It changes your face and everything! I don't hate it, but I need to see you in person to really get the full effect. Enjoyed the post and movie reference. Yes, your long hair was gorgeous and the envy of all, but I am a fan of short hair styles. I will probably love it in person.

Karen said...

funny, I can see how beautiful your face is now that I'm not looking at your beautiful hair....and your hair does grow fast. Your face is beautiful! :)

Christie said...

I agree, I didn't recognize you at first. But I do like it! No lie. I love the pixie cut. You carry it off.

Julie said...

Hollie

I found your blog through Kayleen's, hope you don't mind my stopping by.

But I have to say that EVERYONE should have seen your hair at church on Sunday cuz it was stinkin' cute! And I had someone else even ask me while waiting in the hall if I had seen you with your cute new hair---so there! Ü

I will admit that this picture does NOT represent what I saw on Sunday, but I cannot believe you hate it! But I promise you that I was legit in my complimenting you (I was not thinking anythin close to 'precious' Ü)

p.s. I also enjoyed your 'social butterfly' comment about your husband during relief society---made me laugh.