Followers

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hiking the Superstitions

For one of our April activites, April and I took the girls on a hike. It was just a short jaunt in the Superstition Mountains, but it was fun. That's right, I went on a hike and I ENJOYED it. We only had three of our girls show (plus one mystery guest), but it was nice. April had the idea to put together a cute little trail mix with jelly candies that looked like rocks.
The desert is beautiful right now (words I never thought I'd type) after all that rain we had in February and March. The flowers were in bloom and my allergies are going nuts (more words I never thought I'd type... I've NEVER had allergies until I turned thirty then all hell broke loose and I am oh so very boogery. The 30's, I don't recommend them. And don't even talk to me when I turn 40!).
But like I said, it was an enjoyable 2.4 miles (Treasure Loop trail, in case you're interested) and it was gorgeous. We opened the hike up to the girls' families as well. We had a dad and brother from one girl's family take us up on it. Aiden came along. I thought he would be a bear the entire time, but he surprised me. He didn't complain even once on the way in. We got about a quarter of the way out and he was running to catch up with April's son when he biffed it and caught his chin on a rock. It was a small cut, but it was still bleeding a lot. I welcomed him to scarred chins club (are you a member? Turns out, Bro. Fuller is) and we continued on. And Aiden told me how he hated rocks and how he shouldn't have come on the hike (despite all the fun he had had previously). But all in all, a good hike.
Now, I'm off to blow my nose and wipe off Mabel's boogery eyes (she's suffering the allergies as well...poor thing).

8 comments:

sixskinners said...

I'm in the scarred chin club too. Welcome Aiden!

Jules said...

I am proud of you for going on the hike and actually enjoying. You Go Girl. Sorry about the whole allergy thing. They are no fun. I suffered from them a lot when I was a kid then grew out of them in my teenage years only for them to return when I got pregnant with Nathan. Not as bad as childhood but still ANNOYING!!!!

RQ said...

Way to go, Hollie. We could have so never managed that with all our boys!!

Jamie said...

I have allergy's to dogs. That just started after I had Payton. Dang kids just screw you up.

Anonymous said...

I love to hike but haven't done it since dad left so I guess I won't be doing much that's any fun, but that hike brought back alot of memories, good ones,

Kayleen said...

AWWW, what good leaders you are!

Rosie & John Biggs said...

Was there a destination that you hiked to get see?
Hiking just to hike doesn't do anything for me.

Hollie said...

We hiked to the praying hands rocks in the picture of the whole group. And the view from up there was pretty, too.